Thursday, March 11, 2010

breast feeding

I joined the website I love, cafemom.com. I joined all these groups that apply to my life, one for each month my kids are due it, potty training, toddlers, babies, and pregnancy ones among others. Well on there today a women posted asking if she had to breast feed using her "ta tas" or if she could just pump.

I answered that I believed she could, but it would be harder and she might not get as much. I was trying to be supportive, but the nicer I was to her the more I just wanted to yell at her! I know its stupid, but I've been crazy this pregnancy! I breast feed my son Elijah till he was 1 year, and Tiernan till he was 8.5 months. They both weened themselves, and I felt like a terrible mother every time I gave Tiernan formula like I had failed him in some way. I know I'm crazy like I already admitted, but It's just how I felt. I plan on breast feeding this little one as long as she will go also!

I don't get it though. Why not breast feed? Unless the baby wont latch or some other outstanding circumstance I just don't get it. I feel that its usually the mother being selfish! Like smoking and drinking is soooo much more important then giving your child the best start possible. I guess since I don;t smoke and only drink on rare occasions that I don't get the importance. Yes two times while i was nursing Tiernan did I have a couple drinks. They were my sister in laws batchlorette party and her wedding. And I felt terrible both times that I choose what I wanted over my baby and gave him formula.

When I had Elijah I was a "Teen mom" I had turned 19 exactly 4 months before he was born. I feel like I missed out on lots having him so young. I didn't get to be a normal 19 year old, 20 year old and so on. I also feel I let my husband down on a typical dating experience when we first met. I had a babysitter our first date or two but after that Elijah came with us. I was still breastfeeding at the time and only 20 so its not like we were planning on going to clubs and bars but still. But there I was at 19 years old and I even choose my son over myself!

I sometimes can't help looking at my situation and judging other people by it. Like "I did it why can't they?" or "they are older and more mature than I was and look how I did things better." Which in honesty yes I breastfeed while I was 19, living with my sister and her family, working at mcdonalds and dropped out of college. GO ME!

I am a very shy inverted person and I would breast feed in public too! I feel if my kids hungry I'm going to feed him! It's what they were made for anyway right!? Yea I know I'm right there, if they weren't made to produce milk they wouldn't. Not that i just exposed myself, whipped out my breast in front of everyone and latched on my baby. Not even close... With my first son I used a blanket, and my second I bought a cover that wrapped around. In both cases you would have thought I was just cold and trying to keep warm if you looked quick. And yes I did nurse my son in church, but again I didn't sit in the front row and expose myself, I moved to the back, went to the entry way with the couch, or even in the nursery.

They also make shirts that are perfect for nursing so you'r abdomen stays covered and a top layer comes up to expose a nursing bra. I don't have those, they are a little costly for only a years or so worth of wear, but I'm going to beg hubby! I also bought two nursing tank tops, they work just like a nursing bra on are a tank. They work well under a sweater or button up shirt. I guess i just don;t get with all these comfort options why anyone would still choose not to nurse, its the best thing for your child!

I've had people come up to me and give me suggestions about this pregnancy or my kids that with help with problems or allergies later on and I just think "or you could just have breastfeed them and you wouldn't have to worry about it." Like I can eat peanut butter with out my baby getting asthma...

Off topic a tad... I hate maternity pants! They are terrible! After how many years of making these don't you think they could get it right? Im wearing jeans right now and they are just hanging off my butt and legs. The elastic band as soon as I washed it it folded and no longer lays flat around my belly! I just ajusted it and looked down to see a huge dark red ring around my hips from how it was sitting. These aren't cheap either, I got them from motherhood maternity! My sister got hers cheaper from Bon Ton and loves them..go figure. I paid more and hate them she paid less and loves them... At motherhood you also can't return anything. How ridiculous in my opinion. I could see if there was a time limit, so you don't wear them for your pregnancy than try to get your money back.

I feel much better after my little rant here! I feels good to get things off my chest once and a while. And since no one reads this anyways I wont get any negative feedback. Thats good I guess, even though I am kinda in the mood to debate!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Swidget 1.0